SOCIAL MEDIA

It Was That Kind of Day...

10.02.2008


The above print titled So Now You Know I Like You is by John W. Golden and can be found here. I really enjoy his digital creations and the ideas that he attaches to them. Can't even tell you how many times my college room-mate would find me sitting indian style on the floor intent on making that one "tell all" mixed tape. Complete with the old style stereo that had dual cassettes and a record player on top. A hand-me-down from my father's studio. Sometimes I wish I could do that still. Try to capture my life in a series of songs, but I just don't have the time and it probably wouldn't be the most practical way to spend my days. [Sarcasm meant to be inserted here]

Yesterday was interesting. Went to go get groceries...it was sunny and bright when we walked in and upon walking out the doors of the store Zoey and I were met with a complete down and out downpoar. Of course it was our once a month huge grocery trip which meant that the cart was overflowing, I was also carrying bags and that Zoey was at my heals of course hungry and tired and now...soaked. Not a good combination. We raced to the car (which of course was parked the furthest away from the doors as possible) and I got Zoey in the car and then filled the car with our wet bags. At some point I stopped rushing and just accepted that I was going to be a sopping wet mess along with the hamburger buns and all the other food that I had just so thoughtfully purchased. Upon arriving at home, I pulled into the garage and started the daunting task of removing all the soggy groceries from the car and taking them into the house, where I then got Zoey set up with some cocoa at the table and dried everything before finding a place for it in our cupboards or the fridge. Sometime after my removing the last bag from the car until after I had everything put away and I'd had a change of clothes, someone took the liberty of stealing my bike. Right out of our garage nonetheless. Someone walked in our garage (knowing that someone was home mind you) and just took my bike. I can't believe it...I can, but I can't. I think the only other time that someone has stolen something from me (besides boyfriends) was my Freshan year in highschool. I had saved up my money for a pair of Adidas shoes (you know those ones that everyone had in the early 90's - black with those three white stripes?), anyways...they went missing from my (grant it, unlocked) locker and another girl in my class turned up getting a brand new pair the same day. I know that I am trusting to the point of my being extremely lucky that nothing like this has happened to me up to this point (besides the shoes and boyfriends) but still. It's sad and maddening at the same time. The bike was purchased for me by my dad (and if you knew my dad you would know that monetary gifts are few and far between - making them all the more meaningful to me). I understand that times now are harder and that maybe someone needed that bike or the money that it would bring them or their family but it just makes me sad that someone came into my life and stole something, something that was part of our little family and our life together. Last night before bed, right before falling asleep Zoey (I lay down with her sometimes still) said in a sleepy voice, "I'm sorry someone stole your bike mom, maybe I can ask Santa for another one for you this year" and it just broke my heart to hear her care and concern and I realize now that if nothing else this was just a lesson for all of us to share with her. I suppose everything is really. Is that the point?

and just another share (I wanted to be Julia Hill at one point in my life by the way):

"As I started to picture the trees in the storm, the answer began to dawn on me. The trees in the storm don't try to stand up straight and tall and erect. They allow themselves to bend and be blown with the wind. They understand the power of letting go. Those trees and those branches that try too hard to stand up strong and straight are the ones that break. Now is not the time for you to be strong ..." Julia Butterfly Hill

Hoping that today will be better. It's dark and raining (totally my kind of day) and we're still in pj's (Thursdays are our one day to do this now) set to make some award winning pumkin cupcakes. Back later with photos and recipe I hope.
Anonymous said...

Not a good day for sure! Hope today is better.

Just over a week ago my friend left her home and came back about 20 minutes later. In that time thieves cleaned all the electronics (tv's, computers, cameras, video equipment) from a huge 2 story house!!! They must have been waiting for her to leave. Scary stuff!

Melonie said...

Pumpkin cupcakes always make you feel better. Especially when baked in your jammies. Hope you have a better day today.

Nathalie Kalbach said...

I so loved mixed tapes- LOL.

Susan Beth said...

So mean of somebody to take your bike. Love that you get to have a day in jammies and that it is wet can stormy there.

Anonymous said...

So sorry about your bike, that just stinks...hope the pumpkin cupcakes help, they sound yummy!

Kate said...

Yuckie! sounds like you've had your 3. so look forward to good luck!