SOCIAL MEDIA

Summer Road Trip - The Black Hills & the Needles Highway

7.02.2017


So...this was my least favorite part of the trip. I have hardly any photos of it and was completely unprepared for this leg of the trip. I had NO IDEA how crazy driving on the Needles Highway would be. I've been to Red Rocks in Colorado, driven through the mountains in Tennessee and it had nothing on this experience!


I was so hot on this day and not knowing what to expect was really, really, really hard for me. Ethan had a Go Pro camera and wanted me to get video footage as we drove. I held the camera up to the window while concentrating and looking at the floor of the car! I thought I was either going to throw up or cry...so crazy!


These photos do nothing to capture what it is we saw and experienced while driving through Custer and the Black Hills.

Another thing that had me upset was that there was a lost dog running on the road. No one could catch him and it was so very hot and dry, there was no way it would have been able to make it. I really got rattled and pretty much had to breathe my way out of having an anxiety attack.


There were also single lane portions of the road as well as single lane tunnels where you wouldn't know if it was clear of traffic until starting your way through. There was one that we went through and had to back out three times before making it through the other side.





Above is a picture of a scenic stop along the way where we stopped, I ventured out to peek off the edge and then walked right to the rock wall and pressed my entire self against it until we had to get back into the car. At this point I was not sure that I was going to make it and had thoughts that had it not been so horribly hot I might have just gotten out of the car and walked my way down!!





At the end of it all we ended up with this as our view. There was a little store that had food, snacks, gift shop type things and also rented kayaks. It was sooooooooo good to get out and see water and to not have anything to look down to!!


Ethan says he was just fine (but I saw his hands shaking after the driving) and Zoey says she was fine (but she was sitting on the inside seat in the car). I am completely fine declaring that I wasn't fine and will not be doing this ever again!! :)